Saturday, November 30, 2013

Hawaii 2012: Waikiki Beach Strip

Leave a Comment
Waikiki Beach – the essence of Honolulu.  Finally, I’m writing about it.  The anticipation I felt until I get to write this post pales in comparison to the anticipation of going here as soon as I first set foot in Hawaii. 

I think this photo sums up my expectation of what Hawaii looks like.  Sunbathers sprawling across the white, powdery sand; coconut trees lining up the perimeter; surfer dudes; cool blue water… and lofty hotels in the backdrop.


But before I indulged myself in this sunny goodness, I talked about here that I did my own touring to see the sights, and yes, go to the mall.  Before going back to the beachfront near my hotel, I saw another, less populous beach just in front of Ala Moana Center, fittingly  called Ala Moana Beach Park.









Well, it is a beach and park at the same time.  It's not surprising to see big groups of people, families and friends alike, congregating in the wide expanse of grass and sand.






Since I was all alone, there's no one to take my picture.  I have no choice but to take a selfie.



I could stay here but there was absolutely no shade.  I couldn't stand the sun for too long.  I took one last look (and one last shot) and proceeded to decide on the most convenient (read: cheapest) way back to the middle of Kalakaua Avenue, where my hotel is.



Back at the mall, I found a pamphlet that says Ala Moana gives free shuttle services.



I got off the beach near my hotel and found it's official name by the statue right in the middle - Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole Piʻikoi.  And so this is Prince Kuhio Beach.  Back when at the hotel I did a quick research as to who he was.  Wiki says:


Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole Piʻikoi (1871–1922) was a prince of the reigning House of Kalākaua when the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi was overthrown by international businessmen in 1893. He later went on to become a politician in the Territory of Hawaii as delegate to the United States Congress, and as such is the first native Hawaiian and only person ever elected to that body who was born a royal.


Good to know.  Now off to the beach...


People are just everywhere but it doesn't look very crowded.  I would have thought differently since this was summertime in the State of Eternal Sunshine.  Okay, Rainbow State is actually Hawaii's official nickname.






I was looking for a spot to sit on for a while... just to take in the beautiful view and the place that I was in. Now, this is another selfie.  I felt so frustrated that there's no one there to take my picture.




That is until a nice woman took pity on me and offered to: a) watch my things while I took a dip in the sea; and b) take my picture!  At long last I had my postcard-worthy memento of my Hawaiian trip!



0 comments:

Post a Comment