Monday, September 16, 2013

Bacolod 2011: All Around the City

Leave a Comment
I decided to go to my hometown, Bacolod City, for my birthday. Since my closest friends all live in Manila, I “forced” them to go with me for a mini vacation. They would pay for the airfare as their birthday gift to me, and I will pay for everything else once they get there.

Of course I had to act like a tour guide and show them some of Bacolod’s landmarks.

First up is Balay Negrense, which is technically not in Bacolod but actually in Silay City and is nearer the airport. It’s an old ancestral house-turned-museum and is believed to be haunted.

image




image


image


Next, we went to what is probably the most photographed structure in Bacolod City since it opened in 2007, The Ruins. When I first saw it personally, I thought it was just an old ruined building (hence the name). But when you take pictures of it, it turns out to be extremely photogenic.

image


image


All of the touring made us hungry so we took them to 21 Restaurant - one of my favorites. We didn’t have dessert there though. I had to give them a sweet treat somewhere else. But before that, I had to make them suffer by walking the a few blocks, passing by the one and only Starbucks in Bacolod on 18th Lacson Street.

image


Negros is nothing if not the Sugar Bowl of the Philippines. What better way to prove it that to take my friends to Calea, the most delicious cake shop there is. And I don’t mean just Bacolod. Seriously.

image


image


Journeying to the center of the city, our next stop is the Negros Museum.

image


A stone throw’s away from the museum is the Capitol Lagoon - a public park with a huge fish pond in the center. I had to make them do what every Bacolodnon has absolutely done before - feed the fish with rice crispies!

image


image


Across the Lagoon is the ultimate souvenir shop: The Negros Showroom. You can find all things Negros in there.

image


To pamper my tourist friends, I booked a suite at Palmas del Mar Village Resort. The pool is just outside our room and it comes with a jacuzzi!

image


image


This trip would not be complete withouth them tasting the famous Bacolod chicken inasal (barbecued chicken), of fwhich i haven’t taken a decent picture.

image

Just one more landmark - Bacolod Cathedral.

image

… and Masskara Festival art, which depicts what we all feel about this trip - we’re all smiles!

image


0 comments:

Post a Comment